Move to github?

qdPM is always in active development so put your suggestions here

Move to github?

Postby ivangretsky » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:29 am

Good day!

I plan to use qdPM or qdPM-ex for a small web agency. The app is really fine piece of software, but everything has its flaws. As I can see now the release cycle is pretty long. I am willing to contribute testing time and maybe code to make qdPM better. But I don't see any way to do it now via SourceForge. I suggest moving the project to github. That will allow easy contributing + will gain more users for the software as ''everybody is on github" now.

Maybe there are other ways, but this one seems preferable for an open source project. What do you think?

EDIT: Of cource I meant github, not just git. I edited the post as there are no answers yet.
ivangretsky

Re: Move to github?

Postby kindrosker » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:45 am

ok, I will discuss this with other team members
kindrosker
Site Admin

Postby ivangretsky » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:05 am

Ok, waiting for your decision. By the way, qdPM can still be distributed through SouceForge, Softalicious and so on.

One more question about the code. What is the development workflow for qdPM and qdPM-ex? Are they completely separate or ex is just an add-on which is modularized and can easily be kept apart? So can we contribute time developing the open-source free version and then just add the ex features?

You probably won't want to move the ex thing to github )))
ivangretsky

Postby kindrosker » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:52 am

at the moment there is no plans to put qdPM on github
We are not an open source project. Yes source is open source but we have extended paid version and we have other plans so that is why we will not move to github
People need to understand this.
kindrosker
Site Admin

Postby BStep » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:04 pm

I'm another developer using this software to organize projects for a web development team. I'd like to add a simple feature to qdpm - the ability to not notify users of changes to tasks when updating a task or adding a comment. If I were to write the code for the feature, how would I go about submitting it to you for you to add to the next release if you want it?

Personally, I see no harm in making the free version an open source project. You would be free to accept or reject any features folks add, review submitted code, etc. You could integrate those into the extended version, as well. Lots of projects follow this model, having a free "community" and a paid "enterprise" version of their software.

I suggest your team reconsider, but even if you do not, I would like to send you my modification when it's complete. Please let me know how I could do this.

Thanks so much for the software. It serves our team very well.
BStep

Postby mal1520 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:31 pm

Since the code is open source, couldn't we host a fork of the code on github? Then others could download our patches from there.

What is the current system for submitting patches for qdPM?
mal1520

Return to Suggestions